March 18, 2011

The New Industrialists

After my visit to the Brickworks, I've really had my eye on all the great raw, rough and industrial furniture pieces that are available right now.  The mixture of metal and wood to create a dining room table is anything but what you'd call a traditional table.  The rubbed metal desks and chandeliers of exposed wires and oversized light bulbs add so much interest to a space.  They all seem so perfectly suited for the classic loft with concrete ceilings and floors, exposed pipes and celestial ceilings.  I find though that this new look can easily be transitioned into a more contemporary space to add some edge and contrast to a room that would otherwise become forgettable.  Granted you can't just throw an industrial piece into any space - it definitely takes a certain sensibility and an existing eclectic mix of furniture and accessories to really coexist harmoniously.

I'm currently on the hunt for a new dining room table but am far too concerned about the staying power of my love affair with a table that is >$3,000 with welded metal legs to fully commit to this trend (the table I am smitten with has the most gorgeous, silky and dark wood top though - so torn!).  Instead I purchased a great gunmetal stool that is low enough to be a small sidetable but is also fully functional as a step and extra seating.  I also have my eye on a fabulous brushed steel lamp that will add some masculinity to my guestroom but I'm just hoping the price comes down slightly before I pull out my credit card.

Here are a few inspiration photos of this trend:

via desire to inspire
via Remodelista
via Remodelista

via Remodelista

via Remodelista

A few stores in TO to consider:

No comments:

Post a Comment