October 22, 2011

Furniture Bank

After buying a new dining room table (something more house-size and less condo-size), I needed to figure out what to do with my old table and chairs.  Craigslist is a popular choice for selling furniture but I've also heard a few horror stories and wasn't terribly keen on having a stranger-danger come by my place.  I remember one of my instructors mention the Furniture Bank so decided to do a bit of research. 

Furniture Bank is a registered charity that transfers gently used furniture and household goods to people who have recently transitioned from homelessness.  I remember when I moved into my first apartment and had a huge list of items I needed to buy, borrow and inherit just to fill that space. I can't imagine someone trying to do that and get back on their feet.  You can either drop off items at their donation warehouse or for a fee, they will come and pick-up your donation.  All donations receive an in-kind receipt at the donated value - a little extra incentive on top of the warm and fuzzies for doing a good deed.

The warehouse is on a quiet side street with ample room to stop and unload your items.  You are instantly issued a receipt for your donation which is then followed up by the in-kind donation receipt sent by the government.  All in all a very easy experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment