October 23, 2011

Bathroom Re-do

My second project in Interior Decorating I involves taking our existing bathrooms and re-imagining them.  The twist is that we need to apply Green Design concepts.  Meaning we need to consider sustainability, our carbon footprint, upcycling, refurbishing, etc.  My plan is to find new items for my presentation board but then also include Craigslist finds to demonstrate that I can find and re-use some local cast-offs.

One easy application to demonstrate Green Design is to go low-VOC with our paint selection.  A Benjamin Moore rep came to speak to our class a few weeks ago and had a lot to share about the types of chemical additives included in paints and how that impacts the VOC rating.  I've painted with Benjamin Moore paints before (see post re: Time to Freshen Things Up) and it has amazing coverage.  Definitely an incentive to fork over a few extra $$s for their Aura or Natura lines.

For my bathroom re-do, I've decided to replace my tub with a free-standing cast iron tub.  Injecting some of the Victorian design elements back into my Victorian-age home.  The design theme is rustic industrial - it's going to be a moody room with dark paint and zinc-topped furniture.  Here are some of the items I'm planning to incorporate into the room:

Wolf Gray BM 2127-40

Roxburgh - Victoria and Albert

Mansard Mirror - Restoration Hardware

Zinc accents - The Art Shoppe

Ribbed Glass Filament Sconce - Restoration Hardware


No comments:

Post a Comment