My front hall is quite wide so there is plenty of space to take off your shoes, hang up your coats, drop your bags, etc. The only problem is that there is no hall closet. The former owners left a huge wooden rack with hooks and a shelf but the little cherubs on it weren't exactly my style so it was removed while I was re-painting. The blinds you see in the photo are broken and the hall light is not very bright and casts a horrible yellow light. With the dark colour on the walls and the brown tile at the entrance, the space just sucked up any light that came through the side window - the complete opposite of an inviting entrance.
|The dark walls sucked all the light out of the space|
|I used Stonington Grey by Benjamin Moore and now the natural light bounces around the space|
|Not a huge fan of the colour of this tile - contemplating a temporary fix with marine paint|
After (so far):
|A much more welcoming space|
|The new light fixture is considerably brighter|
|Still in need of a coat rack and a bigger bench to sit on and store shoes|
|I removed the blinds and added a temporary opaque film to the windows for privacy|
|Great inexpensive rug from HomeSense by Colin and Justin|
Here's the rest of the "to do" list:
- replace the tile (something light and bright)
- replace the locks and doorknob
- replace the windows (ordered and booked for January - still will be opaque for privacy)
- paint out the fixture cover above the door so it's less noticeable
- add a coat rack with a shelf
- add a large bench (storage under the seat or pick up baskets/boxes for under the bench)
- paint out the door? possibly a glossy black???
Still a lot left to do but this mini-makeover will hold me over while I continue to search for the rest of the items on my list.