November 29, 2012

Dreaming of .... Front Hall

"Dreaming of...." will be an ongoing series as I begin the process of turning my house into my home.  First up, the front hall.

Here is my front hall as it looks today:


Certainly an improvement from where it started and you can see the "before" shot in an earlier post Mini-makeover - Front Hall.

This is what I'm hoping it'll look/feel like though:
Suzanne Dimma's gorgeous front hall - via House & Home
Front hall of one of my fave bloggers - via  Door Sixteen
Pops of yellow and a great shelf for keys - via Better Homes & Gardens
The home of Janette Maclean - via Design Mom
Wonderful red door and classic penny tile - via House & Home
Although these spaces look different and have varying design styles, they do have several common themes.  All of these front halls are bright and welcoming and certainly suggest to guests what they may expect to see in the rest of the house.  Each space has personality and includes repeating patterns/colours which is important in even a small space.

I'm hoping to accomplish something similar with a few additions like:

New tile - I'd love something white, bright and vintage
Octagon & Dot with grey grout
Basket weave
Penny round
Coat rack - without a hall closet, my jackets are currently stashed in one of the three (yes, three!) closets in my bedroom which is not very convenient

Coat Rack Bench - Restoration Hardware
Grid Coat Rack - Crate & Barrel
Metal Tipped Coat Rack - West Elm
Shoe rack - it's nice to be able to have several options at the front door
Kellan Shoe Rack - Pottery Barn
Shelf - something small for my keys and a few accessories
Rustic Wood Shelf - Pottery Barn
Holman Shelf - Pottery Barn
Reclaimed Wood Wall Shelf - Restoration Hardware
Seating/bench - I've always wanted a rustic bench at the front door and finally have space for one
Addison Storage Bench - Crate & Barrel
Offset Bench - West Elm
Storage - a bit of a catch-all for toques, mitts, scarves, shoe polish, bags, etc.
Barika Totes - Crate & Barrel
Metal Mesh Bin - Restoration Hardware
Woven Felt Baskets - West Elm
Repeating pattern/colour - I don't have a large house, so I'm planning on working a similar shade of blue into each room in my house.  The rug I recently added is a perfect start and adding a small tray, vase or piece of artwork in the same colour will tie it all together.
Fold Key Hook - CB2
Lacquer Stash Box - Jonathan Adler

Mille_Fleurs by Brea Souders - 20x200

No comments:

Post a Comment