April 20, 2013

Adding a Little Art

I still need to add a shelf above my desk but it was looking so bare that I finally put up a couple of pieces of art to add some colour.

Before - pretty but plain
Definitely feeling bare
I put up these great "Tree Ghosts" created by Leanna Isayew that I picked up at the Calgary Art Market last November.
When I picked these up, Leanna provided me with the following description for these pieces:

Each tree ghost is created from dead fall found in the Calgary area.  The process takes approximately a week to produce.  The rounds are cleaned, cut and sanded both by machine and by hand.  A varnish is used to seal the wood which readies them for painting.  Each one is then hand painted using a unique process to warp the paint into colourful patterns.  When the paint is fully dry the face is then coated with a resin to exquisitely encapsulate the ghost and create a shiny almost jewelled effect.  Each ghost is completely unique in shape, size and colour.

I love how the resin makes these pieces sparkle and the colours are so bright and cheerful.  A hole is drilled into the back to make them easy to hang or you could lay them flat.
I love how the paint still appears to be wet
It's slowly coming together

No comments:

Post a Comment