March 17, 2012

Fabric Fundamentals - Part I

My last class of the semester is next week and we are presenting our final design boards.  We were able to select from eight different client profiles and each profile included the size of the room, brief description of the client and then a listing of the type of furniture and style desired for the space.  I love this approach as it allows you to pick a profile that perhaps mimics your own aesthetic.

I decided on the following client profile:

  • A family room 16' x 18'
  • The room contains a sectional sofa, a large arm chair, and a large ottoman which serves as both seating and a coffee table. Two windows in the room overlook a shaded garden.
  • Your clients have children and pets.  They are looking for a warm and welcoming design.

Not a lot of information to go on, so I've taken the liberty of injecting some humour into the design and lots of colour.  Some pieces I found on-line that I'm hoping to work into the project include:

Prairie Coffee Table from Gus Modern - via Modern Karibou
I love this piece but don't think I can make it work in the room as I need to incorporate an upholstered ottoman/coffee table.

Ekobo Tivo Bamboo Tray in Tomato - Modern Karibou
Great piece to sit on top of an upholstered coffee table to keep remote controls, magazines, etc. in one place.

Martini Side Table in Lemon by West Elm
A versatile piece that can be used as a stool and a side table - also comes in black, white and persimmon.
Industrial Pipe Rods by West Elm
I think these drapery rods are fantastic and would work well in a fun family room and a classic industrial loft.

Glass terrariums by West Elm
The accessories at West Elm never disappoint and I love this new terrarium shape.  Fun for kids to set up a little green world of their own.


Now that I've selected a few pieces for the room, it's time to start drawing the furniture layout and picking my fabric samples. Update to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment