March 14, 2013

St. Patrick's Day - Wreath loving

I love wreaths on front doors. They may be considered 'old-fashioned' to some people but I really like them.  I think they dress up the front of your house.  When I was living in apartments and condos, I couldn't have wreaths on my front door but as soon as I owned my own home, I started pulling out the ribbon!

For St. Patrick's Day, I was inspired by some foam, glittery shamrocks I found at the Dollar Store.  I paid $4 for the packets (with extras to spare) and the rest of the materials used were items I already owned.

For the backing, I used cardboard from a leftover moving box I had in the basement.  For the template, I just traced around a glass bowl.
I then traced around a small plate so I could cut out the middle.
Then out came the glue gun and I started to alternate the foam shamrocks by colour around the cardboard circle.
It wasn't a perfect fit and I was left with a bit of a gap at the top, so I just covered it up by layering three of the same shamrocks (glittered of course) at the top.  I ended up really liking the effect.
I finished up the wreath with some green ribbon so I could easily hang it and here is the finished project:


The entire project only took about 20 minutes and with a low cost of $4, it's perfect to hang outside for a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment